Recently I’ve been mixing up my training as I was getting bored of weight training all the time. So, I’ve been treating / subjecting myself to HIIT and circuit training. HIIT is all the rage nowadays – alongside other current trends like Tamagotchi’s and The Corrs. They’re both still cool, right?
HIIT might be seen as a bit of a fad, but the truth is that it’s bloody effective at helping to burn fat. Note that I said helping, it’s not the miracle remedy. It’s another weapon in your arsenal. Effective training alongside a balanced and sustainable diet is the way to go.
The beauty of HIIT (or circuits) is that you can do them pretty much anywhere. For me, you can’t beat training outside. Getting a bit muddy is part of the appeal, but that’s probably just the childish side of me. Only downside now is that I have to do my own washing.All you need is a timer (old school stopwatch or phone), and a field. That’s it. In terms of a training / rest split, personally I go for 40 seconds on, 20 seconds off. 20-25 minutes of that and it’s game over.
Need inspiration? Here’s my favourite (I use the term loosely) exercises, and a copy of my HIIT training session:
- Burpees – A killer wherever you do them, and HIIT wouldn’t be HIIT without them.
- Pull Ups – Now this is one where you do need equipment, but plenty of public parks have these bars dotted around.
- Press Ups – Either standard press ups on the floor, or put your feet on a bench while you’re doing them for an alternative.
- Hill Sprints – Sprinting up a hill isn’t exactly fun, but it’ll get your heart racing quicker than something that races quickly.
- Total Time: 25 Minutes (Remember to add a 5 minute warm up)
- Workout Time: 40 Seconds
- Rest Time: 20 Seconds
Work through the list, and repeat.
- Alternate Lunges
- Press Ups
- Jump Squats
- Mountain Climbers
- Jump Lunges