Just a heads up…this post is just going to be a moan. I love a good moan though, I’m British after all.
If it’s not the weather it’s the economy, or that a scallywag has pinched the last scone, and that I was so miffed that my bowler hat fell off. That’s happened to you too, right?
I’ve noticed that over the last couple of weeks that at least twice per week I seem to Tweet about something that has irritated me in the gym.
I’m all about efficiency, so rather than keeping the twice-weekly ritual going, I thought I’d put together the ULTIMATE list of things that annoy us in the gym.
Please add your comments to this post so that I can keep extending this list. I want to make it a one-stop shop for people to rant!
So, in no particular order of annoyance…
1. People curling in the squat rack.
2. People talking to you when you have both earphones in.
3. People eating something while using the recumbent bike.
4. People using the recumbent bike.
5. People, just, people.
6. People that spend more time in the changing rooms than they do on the gym floor.
7. People that text or use their phone.
8. People that do 1,000 crunches.
9. People that smell before they’ve started working out.
10. People that do the same thing day in, day out.
11. The guy in the changing room who’s far too comfortable toweling his testes while talking to you.
12. People that take your weights when you’re doing circuits.
13. People that loiter close to you because they want to use that equipment but don’t want to ask.
14. People doing things wrong.
15. That terrible gym music.
18. When you forget your iPod.
19. When your headphones break.
20. When you realise you’ve lost ONE earbud from your headphones.
21. People who spend their rest time doing another exercise.
22. People curling using their whole body.
23. Those who skip leg day.
24. Gym instructors tucking into a Subway.
25. People who don’t wipe away their sweat from benches.
26. The excessively loud groaner.
27. People who don’t put the weights back.
28. People that have to neck their protein shake within seconds of finishing a workout.
29. People that jog for 5 minutes to warm up, then start bicep curling, badly.
30. People, just, people.
Additions from Laura:
31. Men wearing vests cut so low their nipples are there for all to see.
32. Girls who have slapped on the make up and then spend 15 minutes on the cross-trainer chatting with a friend, not breaking a sweat before going to flirt with a PT.
33. Someone on their phone, chatting (or worse) taking selfies.
34. The women in the changing rooms who treat it like they’re at home…fully naked, legs akimbo and moisturising away. They’re usually the ones who are in front of my locker so I’m forced to talk to them to politely ask them to peel their bum from the bench so I can get my stuff.
Additions from Ceren:
35. People trying to chat during sets.
36. The borderline-obese doing crunches to lose fat.
Additions from Adele:
37. The grunter (see number 26).
38. The machine hogger.
39. The judgemental.
Additions from Rachel & hubby:
40. People drying their non-head hair with the hair dryer.
41. Scantly dressed women.
42. Gym perverts…probably linked to the point above.
43. People drinking their PRE-workout, DURING their workout.
44. Rubbish air con.
45. Girls that just sit (on a bench) and watch their boyfriend lift.
Additions from Felicity:
46. People not putting their weights away.